- staying indoors all month (except for the momentous excursion outdoors to the polling station on July 10). My hermit life continues with my mom — neither of us have taken a step out of the house for months. Life meanders: the whole morning wrapped in blankets, my mom’s home-cooked lunch right after light breakfast, reading while eating fruits and chocolates, and writing after the sky turns dark in the hum of evening bustle, the breezy night, the shadowy hills, and my favorite sort of quiet — the feverishness of midnight when I seem to be the only human alive.
- uninstalling social media apps. Forgive my excruciatingly slow replies, my digital antenna is sluggish. I am a texting turtle. 🐢
- trotting out of the house with my dad on July 10. We queued for thirty minutes, went through rounds of hand sanitization, deliberated for a millisecond before stamping on a polling card, slotted it into a box, and trotted back home. With that, I finally exercised my right as a citizen.
- absent-mindedly reading The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo (reminds me of Elizabeth Taylor and naturally the time I watched her five-hour-long Cleopatra on the flight from Boston back to Singapore) and All The Light We Cannot See (the writing is exquisite but somehow I can’t get into it).
- listening to Taylor’s folklore. ❤
- writing IDOL. This month, I wrote a total of 20,001 words.
- ending with the last revolutions of the clock. For the final moments of July, here’s a haiku by Kobayashi Issa (posting both translations here because they move me in different ways — or, in Walter Benjamin’s words, each liberates the language imprisoned in a work in its re-creation of that work):
This world of dew我知这世界，本如露水般短暂。
is a world of dew,
and yet, and yet.
4 thoughts on “July things”
I read the Chinese translated quote before! English translation doesn’t seem to have the same ring though… And yay great job IDOLv5 still going in the planned direction :)))
LikeLiked by 1 person
agreed! the chinese translation hits me in the gut, i sat there tasting the words over and over again
and YAY that’s right IDOLv5 still drilling~
Which app did you use to record down the numbers of words written?
https://writetrack.davidsgale.com/ (it’s free!)